Thornbury Methodist Church

Part of the Bristol & South Gloucestershire Methodist Circuit

HISTORY

Thornbury is a place with a lot of history, spanning from the earliest days of Norman Britain through Henry VIII to the industrial developments of the 20th centrury, with quarries and nuclear powerstations. Being close to Bristol, which was one of the key centres of early Methodism, Thornbury has been part of the Methodist story since before we even separatd from the Church of England. Thornbury has had a Methodist presence since 1789 when John Wesley preached in the "neat and commodious preaching house". The original building was vacated in 1878 when the congregation transferred to the present neo-Gothic building in the High Street.
 
For more on the history of Methodism in Bristol visit http://www.newroombristol.org.uk/